There are a few ways to get to know each other:
- I started a Proust Questionnaire survey here (if you want to participate that way, check out the back page of Vanity Fair for an example--it's fun!)
- Are you interested in interviewing someone to get to know them? Email me at kmccafferty1@babson.edu to get that started!
- Would you prefer to write your own bio? That's great, too! Email me your bio!
As for me, here are a couple answers to Proust Questionnaire questions:
What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Nine in the morning on a warm August Sunday, before anyone else shows up to the beach. A large coffee with extra extra milk at the ready. My beach chair and umbrella (I have lots of freckles...) set up on a flat piece of sand, a good book in hand (probably fiction or a memoir)--and plans to have dinner with friends later that day.
What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
I cry at the drop of a hat. I saw Lion the other day and was a fountain of tears. I cry at weddings. I cry at the news. I was reading A Little Life in a coffee shop last year and just weeping into my latte. I can't even help it. The tears just come.
What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
I cry at the drop of a hat. I saw Lion the other day and was a fountain of tears. I cry at weddings. I cry at the news. I was reading A Little Life in a coffee shop last year and just weeping into my latte. I can't even help it. The tears just come.
(Me, nerding out on History in Rome)
Where would you most like to live?
At this very moment, I think I'd most like to live in Big Sur, though I've never been. It seems like the light there is always perfect, there are great book shops and restaurants, it's close to the ocean, there are so many places to explore, and wine country is right around the corner. Or maybe Rome. I visited Rome last May and fell in love with it. Living abroad sounds pretty great right about now.
What is your most treasured possession?
My dad got me a watch that matches his, and my mom's, and my sister's. Jill got her when she graduated from med school. I got mine in anticipation of getting my MBA. It shows the faith my dad has in me and my future.
What is your most marked characteristic?
What is your most treasured possession?
My dad got me a watch that matches his, and my mom's, and my sister's. Jill got her when she graduated from med school. I got mine in anticipation of getting my MBA. It shows the faith my dad has in me and my future.
What is your most marked characteristic?
My giggle. I was once told in 360 feedback that I laugh too much, but it's the thing my friends always comment on--I knew you were coming because I heard your laugh.
Who are your favorite writers?
This is tough for me. I worked at The Book Shop of Beverly Farms in high school and college (they still give me the employee discount and refer to me as their "High School helper") and my first real job was at Random House. My taste has evolved so much over the years--in high school I loved Shakespeare and John Irving. In college Garcia-Marquez. In NYC I loved Sloane Crosley and Markus Zusak. Recently, I've loved Mary Oliver's spare poetry, Roz Chast's funny and heartbreaking graphic memoir, Hanya Yanagihara's brutal spellbinding fiction, Bryan Stevenson's insightful non-fiction, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's beautiful prose, Maggie Shipstead's deeply flawed characters, JK Rowling's imaginative and wonderful worlds, David Rakoff's exploration of iambic pentameter as a modern storytelling device... I'll stop there, but I could go on forever. Check out my GoodReads account!
What is your greatest regret?
Who are your favorite writers?
This is tough for me. I worked at The Book Shop of Beverly Farms in high school and college (they still give me the employee discount and refer to me as their "High School helper") and my first real job was at Random House. My taste has evolved so much over the years--in high school I loved Shakespeare and John Irving. In college Garcia-Marquez. In NYC I loved Sloane Crosley and Markus Zusak. Recently, I've loved Mary Oliver's spare poetry, Roz Chast's funny and heartbreaking graphic memoir, Hanya Yanagihara's brutal spellbinding fiction, Bryan Stevenson's insightful non-fiction, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's beautiful prose, Maggie Shipstead's deeply flawed characters, JK Rowling's imaginative and wonderful worlds, David Rakoff's exploration of iambic pentameter as a modern storytelling device... I'll stop there, but I could go on forever. Check out my GoodReads account!
What is your greatest regret?
Luckily I don't have too many big regrets in my
life--most are chances and risks I wish I had taken but didn't. Waiting so long
to go back to school is a big one for me. I was worried about the expense and
about the math. I got in my head about it, but finally hit submit on my
application and, now that I'm here, I see how great it is and wish I'd taken
the plunge earlier (although... Catch-22 because I wouldn't have met all of
you!!)
Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
"What can you do?" I tend to let go of
frustrations that I have no control over, while some people I'm close to don't.
The price of gas. The big dig. The referees in NBA basketball. When I can make
a difference, I try to. And if I can't, I try to let it go. I also absolutely
overuse the exclamation point and don't think I'll ever be able to stop. Sorry,
Mom! (She's a retired English teacher)
Which talent would you most like to have?
I wish I was an excellent photographer. I'm working on it--I've taken some classes and have some good equipment, but it's one of those talents where there's always room for improvement. I got a tripod for Christmas so I'm on a mission to take some nature shots at night this year.
Also, I'm a terrible (but eager) cross country skier.
What do you most value in your friends?
Compassion, intelligence, and a sense of humor. My girls group text message is full of that laughing/crying emoji, lots of teasing, and lots of love and high fives. We show up for each other. We call each other out when we're being crazy. We celebrate our achievements.
I wish I was an excellent photographer. I'm working on it--I've taken some classes and have some good equipment, but it's one of those talents where there's always room for improvement. I got a tripod for Christmas so I'm on a mission to take some nature shots at night this year.
Also, I'm a terrible (but eager) cross country skier.
What do you most value in your friends?
Compassion, intelligence, and a sense of humor. My girls group text message is full of that laughing/crying emoji, lots of teasing, and lots of love and high fives. We show up for each other. We call each other out when we're being crazy. We celebrate our achievements.
I love your photographs! I think you can call yourself a photographer for sure. Thank you for sharing, this is a fun way to get to know people! I love it. And thank you particularly for the book recommendation list. I'll be checking that sometime after August 24, 2018!!
ReplyDeleteI hear ya Karen!!! I usually read about a book a week, but this year, I haven't even finished one (outside of our books for class...)!!! Homework gets in the way. Maybe next week after finals I'll finally finish Hillbilly Elegy (which I am LOVING but had to put down when CORE 2 started). I've been listening to Barbarian Days on Audible on the way to work--the Pulitzer Prize (2015) winning memoir about surfing. I'm really enjoying it; it's taking my mind off of the news and ESCI and forecasting. But it's slow-going when my commute is 10-45 minutes and the book is 15+ hours long. :)
Delete